Demystifying Cloud Choices: Public, Private, or Hybrid for Your Business
In today’s corporate landscape, 90% of companies have embraced cloud technology, they have a choice of adopting public, private, or hybrid cloud solutions, or a combination thereof. Meanwhile, the remaining 10% have yet to embark on their cloud journey.
Among the 90% of cloud users, a significant portion, specifically 48%, are actively planning to migrate 50% or more of their existing applications to cloud-based environments. Additionally, 20% of these companies have even more ambitious plans, aiming to migrate their entire application portfolio to the cloud. This strategic shift underscores the growing trend toward leveraging cloud technologies to optimise operations and enhance overall business agility
In ever-evolving tech landscape, businesses must make strategic decisions about their cloud infrastructure. Hybrid Cloud solutions have gained significant traction, with 81% of IT leaders opting for this approach. However, the challenge remains: how do you pick the right cloud platform for your organisation? In this blog post, we delve into the key questions surrounding public, private, and hybrid clouds, helping you make an informed decision.
Public vs. Private Cloud: The NIST Definitions
Public Cloud: This cloud infrastructure is available for public use, owned and managed by various entities, and typically resides on the cloud provider’s premises. Notable examples include Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI), Microsoft Azure, AWS, and Google Cloud.
Private Cloud: Private clouds are exclusively dedicated to a single organisation, accommodating multiple consumers, such as business units. They can be owned, managed, or operated by the organisation, a third party, or a combination of both, and may exist on or off-premises.
While public clouds like OCI are well-known, private clouds offer an alternative worth considering when migrating on-premises applications.
Public Cloud vs. Private Cloud: Commercial Considerations
On-premises and Oracle Cloud Infrastructure: 2 Intel cores = 1 CPU of Oracle license.
AWS/Azure: 2 Intel cores = 2 CPU of Oracle license.
Workload Considerations: Public vs. Private Cloud
DevOps and Active Projects: Public clouds excel when agility and scalability are paramount. They allow you to adapt quickly to changing needs without long-term commitments.
Fixed Environments: Applications like Hyperion or Oracle E-Business Suite, which have stable usage patterns, are well-suited to private cloud solutions. Here, you can tailor the infrastructure precisely to your requirements.
In the evolving cloud landscape, a hybrid approach is becoming increasingly common. It involves leveraging both public and private clouds to meet various needs, such as using a public cloud for development and testing while relying on a private cloud for production environments.
Key Considerations for Oracle Cloud Migration
BGC Partners overcame payroll issues with an integrated, end-to-end Oracle Cloud HCM resulting in significant time savings, allowing focus on strategic initiatives.
The Riverside Group is one of the UK’s leading registered social housing providers, with over 3500 employees and over 75,000 homes